We are going to be focusing a lot of attention on new construction over the next couple of weeks. I want to shed some light on all the different builder options you might have, and offer some insider knowledge, as well as some guidance. This first post is going to narrow in on a the builder Centex.
1. Centex homes was founded in 1950 as Centex Construction Company.
2. They are headquartered out of Dallas, TX.
3. In 2009, Centex was acquired by Pulte Group (a competitor builder).
4. They have 13 Houston-Area neighborhoods which they construct new homes within.
1. The Woods of Conroe | Starting at $169,900 | Inventory Homes for Sale
Location: 2006 Lost Timbers, Conroe, Texas 77304
With thoughtfully designed affordable new homes on wooded lots, The Woods of Conroe offers easy access to outdoor activities including an onsite community park and prime location minutes from Lake Conroe.
2. Retreat at Champions Landing | Starting at $169,900 | Inventory Homes for Sale
Address: 14535 Overland Hollow Drive, Houston, Texas 77069
Located in a north Houston setting with easy access to major thoroughfares, Retreat at Champions Landing offers affordable new home designs.
3. Mustang Trails | Starting at $190,490 | Inventory Homes for Sale
Address: 2602 Summer Ln, Missouri City, Texas 77489
Mustang Trails offers a prime location in Missouri City and Fort Bend ISD with affordable new home floor plans and proximity to Fort Bend Tollroad and Beltway 8.
4. Windrow | Starting at $166,990 | Inventory Homes for Sale
Address: 24042 Hay Iron Dr, Hockley, Texas 77447
Close to large city parks, Windrow offers one and two-story new construction homes in the town of Hockley just west of Cypress and provides quick access to Highway 290.
5. Southridge Crossing | Starting at $220,990 | Temporarily Sold Out
Address: 6430 Dayridge Lane, Houston, Texas 77048
With new homes conveniently located near Beltway 8 and TX-288, Southridge Crossing offers a warm community feel with easy access to downtown Houston and the Medical Center.
6. Kingfield | Coming Soon (Summer 2020)
Location: Kingfield Dr & Hwy 6, Houston, Texas 77084
Located off Highway 6 near Copperfield, Kingfield offers 2-story new construction homes ideally situated between Highway 290 and the Katy Freeway in Cy-Fair ISD.
7. Mustang Ridge | Coming Soon
Location: 2779 Mustang Road, Alvin, Texas 77511
Located off Highway 35 in the picturesque small town of Alvin, Mustang Ridge offers value-oriented 1 and 2 story new homes on spacious lots across from the popular Bob Briscoe Park.
8. Pine Grove | Coming Soon
Location: Cypresswood Dr., Spring, Texas 77373
Single-family new construction homes located in Spring near I-45 North Freeway and the Hardy Toll Road with quick access to The Woodlands.
9. Braemar Village | Coming Soon
Location: Hufsmith – Kohrville Rd., Tomball, Texas 77375
New home construction located off Hufsmith-Kohrville Rd near Pinecrest and Northpointe in Tomball and attends coveted Klein ISD schools. Only 1 mile from Grand Parkway 99 and Highway 249.
10. The Pines at Seven Coves | Coming Soon
Location: FM 830, Conroe, Texas 77378
The Pines at Seven Coves provides affordable 1 and 2 story home designs located in north Conroe off FM 830 and Tx Hwy 75.
11. Katy Crossing | Starting at $170,990 | Inventory Homes for Sale
Address: 5731 Prairie Chapel Rd., Katy, Texas 77493
One and Two-story new home floor plans that offer value and flexibility located in the heart of North Katy with access to the Grand Parkway and Katy Freeway.
12. Clearcroft | Starting at $174,490 | Coming Soon
Location: Freehill St., Houston, Texas 77034
1 and 2 story new homes for sale in the Pasadena Independent School District, the community of Clearcroft resides on Freehill St. with quick access to the Gulf Freeway and Beltway 8.
13. Forbes Crossing | Starting at $174,490 | Inventory Homes for Sale
Address: 7232 Hobby Wind Ridge, Houston, Texas 77075
Situated between I-45 and Hwy 288, Forbes Crossing offers a quick commute to the Medical Center and Downtown and value-oriented, flexible new home floor plans.
5. They are popular choice among first time home buyers.
6. The tax rate when buying new construction is a lot higher than established neighborhoods with resale. Note: you will be able to afford less home when the tax rate is higher. Most established neighborhoods have tax rates in the 2.0s.
Tax Rate for..
Retreat at Champions Landing = 3.8%
Katy Crossing = 3.75%
Mustang Trails = 3.29%
Forbes Crossing = 3.27%
The Woods of Conroe = 3.28% or 3.34%
Windrow = 3.7%, 3.78% or 3.8%
Full warranty details can be found here.
8. Centex is building smart homes.
Other options include: smart switches, distributed audio, smart lighting, additional door locks, usb outlets, smart appliances, automated irrigation, home theater and other sound/music smart home upgrades.
9. Centex is building their homes energy efficient.
Centex homes comes equipped with energy-efficient systems. While energy efficient features vary, Centex homes can be up to 30% more energy efficient than the average existing home, bringing a homeowner comfort at a lower cost.
EcoAdvantage® Energy efficiency features may vary by community.
- ENERGY STAR Qualified Appliances – Helps keep energy and water usage lower to reduce waste and manage utility costs.
- Compact Fluorescent and LED Lighting – Reduce energy usage, generate less heat and last at least 5X longer than conventional bulbs.
- High-Efficiency HVAC Systems – Heating and cooling systems that provide better comfort and enjoyment of your new home.
- Low-Emissivity Windows – Have a special coating that reflects infrared light and keeps heat inside during winter and outside in summer.
- Programmable Thermostats – Control energy usage by helping you regulate your home’s temperature according to your schedule and needs.
- Radiant Barrier Roof Decking – Reduces heat absorption in warmer climates and improves HVAC efficiency.
10. They have in-house financing, but you do not have to use them.
They are going to request you use their in-house financing, but I urge all of my clients to get their hands of their loan estimate, and bring it to me and my preferred lender, so we can go over their fees with you, along with show you other options with most likely better interests rates, saving you money up front and in the long term. It is really important you shop around. My preferred lender can be found here.
11. Many in-house inspections are done, but you should ALWAYS get a third-party inspection, once the home is completed.
Many contractors and their workers, worked on constructing each home. Although the builder or contractor might have a good reputation, it is sometimes impossible to hold every worker accountable. A third-party home inspection is key in finding any flaws, which the builder is almost always, happy to correct. You can find my recommended inspector here.
12. If you are a little short on funds, a builder can offer some closing cost assistance.
Your realtor can help you negotiate this.
13. You should always visit new construction for the first time with your realtor.
The sales agent you find within the model home works for the builder. A realtor, hopefully me, works for you! You can read my post on why this is important here.
I hope you have found this post beneficial. If you are moving to the area or relocating, feel free to reach out with any questions.
I love nothing more than providing education and answering questions, so if you are looking for a local realtor to help you find your dream home, please don’t be shy; no matter where you are in the home buying process, I look forward to hearing from you.
Check out our most popular blog posts:
- What You Need to Know When Buying Your First Home :: http://byjoandco.com/firsttime-part1
- The Seven People I Recommend to Every Client :: http://byjoandco.com/7people
- Most Popular New Construction in Conroe :: http://byjoandco.com/conroenew
- The Most Desirable Neighborhoods to Live In in Spring and Klein ISD :: http://byjoandco.com/bestklein
- 15 Local Things to Do at Night with Kids :: http://byjoandco.com/atnight
- Where to Stay When House Hunting or Moving to The Woodlands :: http://byjoandco.com/whereto
- The Best Neighborhoods to Live in to Let Kids Be Kids :: http://byjoandco.com/kidsbekids
- Download our e-book, Moving to The Woodlands, http://byjoandco.com/downloadthewoodlandsebook