We know that all seasons are beautiful, but there is just something about fall that really gets us going. It gives us a chance to reconnect with friends and family through holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Also, during the fall season, there are plenty of fun things to do in Houston with kids! You can take them to a local farm or visit a farmers' market, go on a hike or play at the park, or attend one of the city's many kid-friendly festivals or events.
So, whether you’re looking for the best place to roast marshmallows, carve pumpkins, or simply enjoy the great outdoors this autumn, we’re here to help with some great fall activities and places you can visit during the season!
Drive through the Fall foliage
- McKinney Falls State Park | 5808 McKinney Falls Pkwy, Austin, TX 78744
Just three hours drive from downtown Houston, this park is an excellent location for spotting foliage and enjoying a weekend getaway from the city. Also, there are 81 campsite options and activities such as hiking or biking in 9 miles of trails, fishing, swimming, bouldering, and picnicking.
- Guadalupe River State Park | 3350 Park Road 31 Spring Branch, TX 78070
Just less than 4 hours drive from Conroe, the Guadalupe River State Park has beautiful views on the water and foliage during the fall months. Most people visit the park to float the river, but guests are also welcome to camp, explore 13 miles of hike and bike trails, kayak, canoe and more.
Get Lost in Corn Maze
- P-6 Farms | 9963 Pooles Rd, Montgomery, TX 77356
A great place to visit during the fall with friends and family. P-6 Farms has it all, even a corn maze! Work together as a team or venture in alone and try to find your way out.
- Old Time Christmas Tree Farm | 7632 Spring Cypress Rd Spring, TX 77379
Don't get lost in the corn maze, because you will still have to pick out some pumpkins and partake in other fun activities!
Go Apple Picking
- Efurd Orchard | 4004 Highway 271 South, Pittsburg TX 75686
The Efurd family has been producing high-quality fruits & vegetables since 1972. Their orchard offers apples, peaches, plums, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, blueberries, and strawberries. They have a store where you can get homemade ice cream, jams, and many other goods. There’s a small pond on the land and vintage trucks!
- Atkinson Farms | 3217 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77388, United States
If you're in the mood to pick your own fruits and vegetables, look no further than Atkinson Farms. Here you can find fresh strawberries, fresh locally grown seasonal produce, and more!
Attend a Fall Festival
- Pumpkin Bob | 1205 Candy Cane Lane Conroe, TX 77301 – Conroe Aquatic Center
On October 21 from 5PM – 7PM, kids are able to jump in the heated Education Pool and bob for their own pumpkins! Once they got one, they are able to decorate it at one of the decorating station at the Aquatic Center.
- Fall FunFest | 2500 South Loop 336 E., Conroe TX 77302 – Carls Barton Jr. Park
Join the fun on October 22 form 11AM – 2PM! There will be face painting, fun booths, pony rides, inflatables and more! Come dressed in your costumes with your treat or treat bag ready to be filled with candy.
Visit a Local Pumpkin Patch
- Old Time Christmas Tree Farm | 7632 Spring Cypress Rd Spring, TX 77379
Open on the weekends to find the perfect pumpkin after you get out of the corn maze.
- 7 Acre Wood | 4401 N Frazier St, Conroe, TX 77303
There are pumpkins at 7 Acre Wood all October long! Make sure to visit as they also have a petting zoo and multiple activities for kids.
Go to Live Music
- The Corner Pub | 302 N Main St, Conroe, TX 77031
With open mic nights and live music every week, you are sure to hear some great tunes.
- Pacific Yard House | 101 Metcalf St, Conroe, TX 77301
With music lineups Thursday through Sunday every week, you will always have a place to go for live music on the weekends.
Go to a Farmer's Market
- Main Street Market | 205 Metcalf St Conroe, TX 77301
Every Saturday from 9AM – 1PM, right in the heart of the Historic Downtown Conroe, shop the local farmer and artisan market!
- Montgomery Farmers Market | 300 C B Stewart Dr, Montgomery, TX 77356
“Providing the purest and most nutritious foods possible to our local community”. A self proclaimed food revolution, they provide educational materials to both vendors and customers.
Best Places that Sell Pie
- Pie in the Sky Pie Co | 3600 N Loop 336 W Conroe, TX 77304
A local bakery and brunch spot, offering over 20 different kinds of pie!
- Montgomery Bakehosue | 240 Longmire Rd Conroe, TX 77304
Offering over 25 different kinds of pies, they also offer a variety of desserts and the famous Texas Tornado Cookies.
Participate in a Halloween Costume Contest
- The Corner Pub | 302 N Main St, Conroe, TX 77301
October 29 is the Halloween party at the Corner Pub and they will be giving away prizes for costumes! Make sure to head out dressed in your best (or scariest) costume you have.
- Glow Party | 2 Waterway Square Place The Woodlands, TX 77380
Mark off October 29 to partake in this costume party and contest! Starting at 8PM there will be drink specials and then the costume contest will start at 10PM. There will be live music and no cover charge. The theme this year is Villains & Vixens!
Get Spooked at a Haunted House
- Purgatory Scream Park | 1965 Northpark Dr Kingwood, TX 77339
Open on the weekends for all the fright to take place, Purgatory Scream Park was listed in the Top 5 Walk-Through Haunts of the country in 2020.
- Houston Terror Dome | 16030 East Freeway Channelview, TX 77530
Get spooked as you walk through the new and improved Terror Dome. They added more entertainment for your pleasure that includes ax throwing and a zombie escape room.
Hike in a National Park
- Big Thicket National Preserve | FM 420, Kountze, TX 77625, United States
This is the only one that is a convenient day trip from the city, as it’s situated about an hour and 40 minutes away by car. Big Thicket protects a long, narrow preserve lining the banks of a few meandering creeks. This kind of environment consists of multiple interrelated habitats that attract a wide variety of wildlife. Among the nine different ecosystems in the park are pine forest, bayous, and wetlands. Popular activities here are kayaking, canoeing, and hiking. There are about 40 miles of hiking trails in the park.
- Waco Mammoth National Monument – 6220 Steinbeck Bend Dr, Waco, TX 76708, United States
Waco Mammoth National Monument one of the best national parks near Houston is where you can see a collection of “in situ” fossils, meaning that they’re still embedded in the place where they were originally discovered.
My Favorite Places to Black Friday Shop
- Outlets at Conroe | 1111 League Line Rd, Conroe, TX 77303
With everything at a discount already, Black Friday deals are even better!
- The Woodlands Mall | 1201 Lake Woodlands Dr Ste 700 The Woodlands, TX 77380
The ultimate retail therapy shopping spot. With a clean inside and a multitude of stores to shop at, you are sure to get some great deals on what you need.
Watch an Autumn Sunset
- The Woodlands Waterway | 31 Waterway Square Place The Woodlands, TX 77380
Take in the beautiful sunsets while walking along the waterway. Better yet, take out a kayak or paddle board from Riva Row Boat House out on the lake and sit in peace!
- Rose Rooftop | 20 Waterway Ave The Woodlands, TX
A rooftop view of the sunset? Say no more! Located on The Woodlands Waterway, enjoy a nice dinner and some drinks during the golden hour of the sunset.
Take a Hayride
- Old Time Christmas Tree Farm – 632 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77379
Come take a hayride on the weekends in October and enjoy the fresh air! After the hayride, be sure to snag a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch and grab some snacks.
- Oil Ranch – 23501 Macedonia Rd, Hockley, TX 77447, United States
Oil Ranch offers many fun activities for the whole family, including cow milking, pony rides, mini golf, hay ride, and a petting zoo. The pumpkin patch is a great place to pick out the perfect pumpkin for Halloween!
Watch a Parade
- 73rd Annual H-E-B Thanksgiving Day Parade – Near City Hall on Smith St.
On November 24 at 9AM, gather around in downtown Houston for this spectacular parade! With over 20 blocks long of floats, marching bands and balloons!
Outdoor Movie Events
- Cinema Under the Stars | 14420 Liberty St, Montgomery, TX
Featuring a variety of movies on Oct. 15 and Nov. 12 at 8 PM. Enjoy the night sky and the movies!
- The Showboat Drive In Theater | 22422 Fm 2920 Rd Hockley, TX 77447
Enjoy a double feature! Choose between the two screens and the movies you wish to see. Only open on the weekends.
Join a Turkey Trots
- City of Conroe Turkey Trot 5K | 2500 South Loop 336E Conroe, TX 77302
November 19 starting at 9AM. A fun run for all ages! Be sure to buy your tickets in advance.
- YMCA Run Thru the Woods | 2005 Lake Robbins Dr, The Woodlands, TX 77380
Participate in a 5-mile or 3-mile run and let your kids run the 1-miler on Thanksgiving Morning! This local tradition has supported non-profit organizations to help strengthen the surrounding communities.
Upcoming Fall Events
- Thrill at the Mill | 4401 N Frazier St, Conroe, TX 77303
7 Acre Wood is hosing their 22nd annual Thrill at the Mill on October 29 starting at 10AM. There is free admission to get in and enjoy the area. Tickets will be sold for a select list of activities such as pony rides and pumpkins, etc. There will be a Vendor Market for everyone to enjoy and shop at!
- Cochran's Crossing Fall Festival | 4995 Lake Woodlands Dr, Spring, TX – Shadowbend Park
October 23 from 1PM – 4PM there will be live music, food, a rock wall, a petting zoo and so much more to enjoy! The event is free and open to the public.
There is so much to do in and around Conroe TX. We might have missed some favorites, so be sure to share with us any new finds. You can email us, leave a comment below, or tag us on Instagram! @jordanschilleci and @byjoandco
We are so happy you found our little corner of the interwebs. We look forward to y'all reaching out to us. We love to answer questions and welcome them. Recently we created some local maps, and you can download those by clicking the image/link above. Below, you will find an index of some very helpful information to assist you in learning more about the Houston suburbs. If you are relocating to our neck of the woods, we hope you reach out to us, because we would love to help you by being your local realtor and friend. Thoughtfully written for you. Hugs, Jo.
We are Waiting for You
If you are looking to relocate to the Houston Area, we would love to meet you, and hear your story. Below you will find all of my contact information, as well as some homes for sale in the area. We truly look forward to hearing from you! P.S. Don't forget to check out our YouTube Channel!
If you are overwhelmed..
Now if you are feeling overwhelmed on where you should plant your roots, I would love to talk to you. You can schedule a call with me by click this link: http://byjoandco.com/call or just send us an email: [email protected]. There are some amazing communities all over the Houston suburbs. In this post, https://search.byjoandco.com/blog/best-neighborhoods-in-houston/, I deep dive into all the different suburbs/neighborhoods that you might want to consider, and why. There are many resources here, so please reach out if you are curious what to look at next! Thank you for trusting us.
• Navigate our Blog: https://byjoandco.com/categories-to-help-you-navigate-the-blog/
• Download our Moving to Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/movingtotexasebook.
• Download our Where to Live in Houston Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/wheretoliveebook.
• Browse our Ebooks and Relocation Guides: http://byjoandco.com/ebooks
• Schedule a phone call or appointment with us! http://byjoandco.com/appointment.
• Email us! [email protected].
• Looking for a buyer’s agent? Fill out our buyer questionnaire! http://byjoandco.com/q.
• Ready to find your dream home? Search, http://search.byjoandco.com.
• Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://byjoandco.com/youtube.