We know that all seasons are beautiful, but there is just something about fall that really gets us going. It gives us a chance to reconnect with friends and family through holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving. Also, during the fall season, there are plenty of fun things to do in Houston with kids! You can take them to a local farm or visit a farmers' market, go on a hike or play at the park, or attend one of the city's many kid-friendly festivals or events.
So, whether you’re looking for the best place to roast marshmallows, carve pumpkins, or simply enjoy the great outdoors this autumn, we’re here to help with some great fall activities and places you can visit during the season!
Drive through the Fall foliage
- McKinney Falls State Park – 5808 McKinney Falls Pkwy, Austin, TX 78744
Just three hours drive from Cypress, this park is an excellent location for spotting foliage and enjoying a weekend getaway from the city. Also, there are 81 campsite options and activities such as hiking or biking in 9 miles of trails, fishing, swimming, bouldering, and picnicking.
- Guadalupe River State Park – 3350 Park Road 31 Spring Branch, TX 78070
Just less than 4 hours drive from Cypress, the Guadalupe River State Park has beautiful views on the water and foliage during the fall months. Most people visit the park to float the river, but guests are also welcome to camp, explore 13 miles of hike and bike trails, kayak, canoe and more.
Get Lost in Corn Maze
- Dewberry Farm – 7705 FM 362 Brookshire, TX 77423
Dewberry Farm offers more than 8 acres of corn mazes. Also, throughout the fall season, they have a variety of exciting activities. Don't miss out!
- Froberg's Farm – 3601 Hwy 6, Alvin, TX 77511
Opening the last weekend of September and going through the first weekend of November, get lost in the crazy corn maze which is open daily!
Go Apple Picking
- Efurd Orchard – 4004 Highway 271 South, Pittsburg TX 75686
The Efurd family has been producing high-quality fruits & vegetables since 1972. Their orchard offers apples, peaches, plums, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, blueberries, and strawberries. They have a store where you can get homemade ice cream, jams, and many other goods. There’s a small pond on the land and vintage trucks!
- Atkinson Farms – 3217 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77388, United States
If you're in the mood to pick your own fruits and vegetables, look no further than Atkinson Farms. Here you can find fresh strawberries, fresh locally grown seasonal produce, and more—all right here in Spring, Texas.
Attend a Fall Festival
- South Texas Region Fall Festival – 19518 Lutheran Cemetary Rd, Cypress, TX 77433
On October 22 at 10AM, join in on the fun and eat some homemade ice cream, enjoy the talent show and play some carnival games! Only $5 for the whole family, but make sure to register by October 20th.
- Dewberry Farm – 7705 FM 362 Brookshire, TX 77423
Fall Festival begins September 24, 2022, 10 am – 6 pm and includes live events, Tug o War, hayrides, a candy cannon, a pumpkin patch, and more!
Visit a Local Pumpkin Patch
- Old Time Christmas Tree Farm – 632 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77379
Open on the weekends in October to find the perfect pumpkin! They also offer a variety of other activities and entertainment like a train ride, petting zoo and inflatable bounce house plus more!
- Blessington Farm's – 510 Chisolm Trail, Simonton, Texas 77476
Open on the weekends from September 17th-November 20th, you can pick your own pumpkins!
Go to Live Music
- The Hidden Cellar – 16518 House Hahl Rd. Cypress, TX 77433
Enjoy live music from some of Houston's very own talent every Friday and Saturday night!
- Creekwood Grill – 12710 Telge Rd. Cypress, TX 77429
Join friends and family for nights out on the weekends to listen to live music! You can see the line up on their website.
Go to a Farmer's Market
- Bridgeland Farmer's Market – 10519 Fry Rd. Cypress, TX 77433
Find some of the freshest local produce around every 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month!
- Jersey Village Farmer's Market – 16327 Lakeview Dr. Jersey Village, TX 77040
Held on the 1st & 3rd Sunday of the month from 11AM – 2PM. This family-friendly event features handmade crafts and locally grown food.
Best Places that Sell Pie
- Hazel Loves Pie – 17527 Huffmeister Rd Suite A, Cypress, TX 77429
Not having a retail location, they are found at The Woodlands Farmers Market and Crescent Moon Coffee Bar & Cafe, these baked goods are handmade from scratch with all-natural ingredients. You can choose between cream pies, traditional pies, fruit pies and jumbo muffins!
- House of Pies – 25686 Northwest Freeway Cypress, Tx 77429
Fresh, homemade pies to enjoy on a special night out or if you just want something to enjoy! Serving you specialty pies, fruit pies, cheesecakes, cream pies and much more!
Participate in a Halloween Costume Contest
- Painting with a Twist – 16740 Champion Forest Dr Spring, TX 77379
With tickets starting at $37.00, it's a BYOB kinda night here! Bring your own food and drink and they will supply you with all the craft tools needed for the spooky night.
- 2022 Monster's Ball – 2300 Pierce Street Houston, TX 77003
Grooves of Houston is presenting the Monster's Ball on October 29 starting at 9PM. This is a must on your agenda for all things, you can purchase tickets in advance online. Be sure to dress your best as the grand prize is $1,000!
Get Spooked at a Haunted House
- 13th Floor Haunted House – 7075 Farm to Market 1960 Rd W Ste 20, Houston, TX 77069
This world famous haunted house offers three main attractions, “Chop House”, “Legends of the Deep” and “All Hallows Eve”. Think you can survive the night? If you survive then you can stay and try some of the other attractions such as a mini escape room and axe throwing! Tickets start at 19.00 so be sure to grab them before you go!
- Redrum Fear Park – 1800 E Hwy 90A Richmond, TX 77406
Opening the first weekend of October and running through the first weekend of November, come on the weekends (and a couple of Sundays) to see what's to fear in the four different line-ups.
Hike in a National Park
- Big Thicket National Preserve – FM 420, Kountze, TX 77625, United States
This is the only one that is a convenient day trip from the city, as it’s situated about an hour and 40 minutes away by car. Big Thicket protects a long, narrow preserve lining the banks of a few meandering creeks. This kind of environment consists of multiple interrelated habitats that attract a wide variety of wildlife. Among the nine different ecosystems in the park are pine forest, bayous, and wetlands. Popular activities here are kayaking, canoeing, and hiking. There are about 40 miles of hiking trails in the park.
- Waco Mammoth National Monument – 6220 Steinbeck Bend Dr, Waco, TX 76708, United States
Waco Mammoth National Monument one of the best national parks near Houston is where you can see a collection of “in situ” fossils, meaning that they’re still embedded in the place where they were originally discovered.
My Favorite Places to Black Friday Shop
- Houston Premium Outlets – 29300 Hempstead Rd, Cypress, TX 77433
This is the ultimate place to get all your Black Friday shopping needs met. With over 140 different stores, you'll be able to spend all day getting the best deals! Stop at Coach, Columbia, Gap, Nike, Express and so much more
- Cypress Towne Center – US 290 & Spring Cypress Rd. Houston, TX 77429
Lined with a variety of shops, from Target, Bed Bath & Beyond and Best Buy, you'll be able to get a lot of your Black Friday shopping done in no time!
Watch an Autumn Sunset
- Buffalo Bayou Park – 1800 Allen Pkwy &, Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77019, United States
The 160-acre park stretching across the heart of Houston offers an ample urban space that is a remarkable view of the sunset. Take a stroll across the park or have a picnic overlooking the lake with the sunset in the backdrop
- Sam Houston Park – 1000 Bagby St, Houston, TX 77002, United States
Sam Houston Park offers visitors a place to watch the sunset surrounded by years of history and culture. The park is easily accessible from the city center, and it's only a short walk away.
Take a Hayride
- Old Time Christmas Tree Farm – 632 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77379
Come take a hayride on the weekends in October and enjoy the fresh air! After the hayride, be sure to snag a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch and grab some snacks.
- Oil Ranch – 23501 Macedonia Rd, Hockley, TX 77447, United States
Oil Ranch offers many fun activities for the whole family, including cow milking, pony rides, mini golf, hay ride, and a petting zoo. The pumpkin patch is a great place to pick out the perfect pumpkin for Halloween! It will open on October 1st, 2022.
Watch a Parade
- 73rd Annual H-E-B Thanksgiving Day Parade – Near City Hall on Smith St.
On November 24 at 9AM, gather around in downtown Houston for this spectacular parade! With over 20 blocks long of floats, marching bands and balloons!
Outdoor Movie Events
- Moonstruck Drive-In – 100 Bringhurst St Houston, TX 77020
Bring your friends, family and pets to watch some movies under the moonlight! Enjoy the shows with a breathtaking view of the city skyline in the back, tickets are $30/car.
- Showboat Drive In Cinema – 22422 Farm to Market 2920 Hockley, TX 77447
Enjoy this drive-in theater with two screens to choose from! Enjoy the comfort of inside your car or bring chairs (or anything else) you can sit on outside.
Join a Turkey Trots
- Cypress Turkey Trot – 16055 Mason Rd Cypress, TX US 77433
Gobble your way across the finish line this Thanksgiving on November 24th! All participants will receive a custom race shirt, bib and finisher medal! There is a 5k for everyone and for those 16 years and younger, a 1-mile race. Everyone is eligible for awards based on your age group and door prizes!
- BakerRipley Houston Turkey Trot – 4925 Westheimer Houston, TX US 77056
Come support the community at the 30th Annual BakerRipley Houston Turkey Trot this year on Thanksgiving Day! The various distances include a 10k, 5k and a 1k for the kid's run. Make sure to sign up!
Upcoming Fall Events
- Bridgeland Nature Fest 2022 – House & Hahl Rd, Cypress, TX 77433
Content Creator Jungle Jordan is headlining this years Nature Fest who is a zookeeper and wildlife educator. Find yourself learning about nature with exhibitions, a petting zoo and even pony rides! There will also laser tag, face painting and arts & crafts to partake in. Mark October 29th on your calendar starting at 10AM.
- CyFair Nutcracker Market – 8877 Barker Cypress Road Cypress, TX 77433
With over 230 vendors, you'll be able to enjoy all the holiday things! Browse among clothing, home and garden decor, jewelry and gourmet food! Starting at 9AM.
There is so much to do in and around Cypress TX. We might have missed some favorites, so be sure to share with us any new finds. You can email us, leave a comment below, or tag us on Instagram! @jordanschilleci and @byjoandco
We are so happy you found our little corner of the interwebs. We look forward to y'all reaching out to us. We love to answer questions and welcome them. Recently we created some local maps, and you can download those by clicking the image/link above. Below, you will find an index of some very helpful information to assist you in learning more about the Houston suburbs. If you are relocating to our neck of the woods, we hope you reach out to us, because we would love to help you by being your local realtor and friend. Thoughtfully written for you. Hugs, Jo.
We are Waiting for You
If you are looking to relocate to the Houston Area, we would love to meet you, and hear your story. Below you will find all of my contact information, as well as some homes for sale in the area. We truly look forward to hearing from you! P.S. Don't forget to check out our YouTube Channel!
If you are overwhelmed..
Now if you are feeling overwhelmed on where you should plant your roots, I would love to talk to you. You can schedule a call with me by click this link: http://byjoandco.com/call or just send us an email: [email protected]. There are some amazing communities all over the Houston suburbs. In this post, https://search.byjoandco.com/blog/best-neighborhoods-in-houston/, I deep dive into all the different suburbs/neighborhoods that you might want to consider, and why. There are many resources here, so please reach out if you are curious what to look at next! Thank you for trusting us.
• Navigate our Blog: https://byjoandco.com/categories-to-help-you-navigate-the-blog/
• Download our Moving to Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/movingtotexasebook.
• Download our Where to Live in Houston Texas ebook! http://byjoandco.com/wheretoliveebook.
• Browse our Ebooks and Relocation Guides: http://byjoandco.com/ebooks
• Schedule a phone call or appointment with us! http://byjoandco.com/appointment.
• Email us! [email protected].
• Looking for a buyer’s agent? Fill out our buyer questionnaire! http://byjoandco.com/q.
• Ready to find your dream home? Search, http://search.byjoandco.com.
• Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://byjoandco.com/youtube.