You may have heard that Austin, Texas is the new Silicon Valley, its exploding! However, Austin is not what it used to be. It is becoming incredibly over-crowded and many people believe it just isn't a safe place to raise a family anymore. Today, I would like to share with you 10 reasons NOT to move to Austin, Texas.
- Its EXPENSIVE: the average home price in Austin has increased by 28% year over year!
- No pro sports: Austin does not have a single professional sports team.
- Extreme weather: The concrete jungle and exhaust amplify the dry heat. Austin is also prone to tornadoes, hailstorms, and floods.
- Allergies: consistently rated among top 5 worst for allergies- and its YEAR ROUND
- Mosquitoes: If you have visited Austin you may have been told to visit the Congress Avenue Bridge to watch the bats fly out at night. These bats are not just there to look cool at night. They live in Austin because they feast on the mosquitoes living there as well.
- Expansion leads to less walkability: Austin builds OUT rather than up. While it is a walkable city downtown you MUST have a car to get to most other places.
- TRAFFIC and congestion: Driving in Austin is a nightmare. It is the 14th worst city to drive in in the country. The Austin Metro was not made for the amount of people currently living and working there. Fixing the roads and highways means that there is a ridiculous amount of construction which creates increased traffic.
- Austin Residents HATE Californians: There is a huge stigma around moving from California to Austin. So if you are moving from California you may not want to tell anyone (;
- It Liberal- not a bad thing! But if you are moving to Texas (a red) state it is certainly something you should be made aware of.
- Hipsters!! Again, not a bad thing, just A-typical to the rest of Texas. Austin is more similar to cities such as Portland or Seattle. It is filled with trendy thrift stores, restaurants, breweries and coffee shops. It is normal for people to dye their hair crazy colors and dance in the streets with hula hoops. After all, Austins moto is “Keep Austin Weird.”
If reading this list made you sad, don't be! I know each city has its fair share of pros and cons, I just thought it would be helpful to share the most common complaints for living in Austin. No city is perfect but you should continue to keep HOUSTON in your home search. (: If you have any questions about your relocation to Texas, please contact me. Also, be sure to check below for additional resources that will assist you in your house hunt.
We are so happy you found our little corner of the interwebs. We look forward to y'all reaching out to us. We love to answer questions and welcome them. Recently we created some local maps, and you can download those by clicking the image/link above. Below, you will find an index of some very helpful information to assist you in learning more about the Houston suburbs. If you are relocating to our neck of the woods, we hope you reach out to us, because we would love to help you by being your local realtor and friend. Thoughtfully written for you. Hugs, Jo.
We are Waiting for You
If you are looking to relocate to the Houston Area, we would love to meet you, and hear your story. Below you will find all of my contact information, as well as some homes for sale in the area. We truly look forward to hearing from you! P.S. Don't forget to check out our YouTube Channel!
If you are overwhelmed..
Now if you are feeling overwhelmed on where you should plant your roots, I would love to talk to you. You can schedule a call with me by click this link: http://byjoandco.com/call or just send us an email: [email protected]. There are some amazing communities all over the Houston suburbs. In this post, https://search.byjoandco.com/blog/best-neighborhoods-in-houston/, I deep dive into all the different suburbs/neighborhoods that you might want to consider, and why. There are many resources here, so please reach out if you are curious what to look at next! Thank you for trusting us.
• Navigate our blog: https://byjoandco.com/categories-to-help-you-navigate-the-blog/.
• Download our Moving to Texas ebook: http://byjoandco.com/movingtotexasebook.
• Download our Where to Live in Houston Texas ebook: http://byjoandco.com/wheretoliveebook.
• Browse our Ebooks and Relocation Guides: http://byjoandco.com/ebooks.
• Schedule a phone call or appointment with us: http://byjoandco.com/appointment.
• Email us! [email protected]
• Looking for a buyer’s agent? Fill out our buyer questionnaire: http://byjoandco.com/q.
• Ready to find your dream home? Search, http://search.byjoandco.com.
• Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: http://byjoandco.com/youtube.